Who blogs?
I don't fucking blog. I have been torn about it because I grew up with the livejournal of ye old, where you used it to weed out your friends and enemies (and you were the coolest 13 year old around if you knew how to use an IP look-up and get that rat bastard who was flaming your posts), and blogging was the hippest and most self-indulgent thing you could ever do. But we know this.
So let's get self-indulgent. I'm going to start to get to things that I'm interested in and hopefully learn a little and light some stuff on fire. I was reading Transmetropolitan and I got a hard on for writing again. Warren Ellis's futuristic-pop-dystopia is absolutely overwhelming. Everyone wants to be Spider Jerusalem (and if you are asking why because you have never read the series, go pick up a volume or three. If you are asking why because you think Spider is an asshole, check the measured levels of success between Spider Jerusalem, Warren Ellis, and then kill yourself). Unfortunately the only similarities Spider and I share is that we're both bald (or going), we drink, smoke, and have a high opinion of ourselves (one warranted, the other probably not. Take a guess).
I was trying to pick through Spider Jerusalem quotes earlier, but I found a much much much better one by Ellis himself, on someone daring him to release another series without the use of his current notoriety.
"A million fucking message boards, email, Twitter, any number of free tools, being limited only by time and your imagination? If I’d had the internet in 1988 I WOULD OWN AN ENTIRE COUNTRY BY NOW AND WOULD PUT HUNDREDS OF YOU TO DEATH EACH DAY JUST FOR FUN AND IT WOULD BE THE LAW"
I have a new hero.
No comments:
Post a Comment